[sib-courses] New SIB course: "Introduction to classification", 18 November 2014

Diana Marek Diana.Marek at isb-sib.ch
Mon Nov 3 15:21:27 CET 2014

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce a new SIB course entitled: *"Introduction to
classification"*.

This one-day course, which will be held in Lausanne on the 18 November
2014, will introduce the basics concepts in classifier construction and
evaluation. We will discuss some of the most common types of
classifiers, such as classification trees, random forests, support
vector machines, discriminant analysis and K-nearest neighbor
classifiers. We will also discuss measures and strategies for evaluating
the performance of a classifier appropriately using cross-validation.

Participants should bring their own computers with the R statistical
software installed and prior attending the course get familiar with the
basics of R.

The course is organized by the Bioinformatics Core Facility (BCF) of the
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.

Further information and application are available from
http://edu.isb-sib.ch/course/view.php?id=186
Please note that the number of seats is limited.

Hope to see you there!

For the organizer,
Diana Marek

--
*Diana Marek, PhD
*Vital-IT - Training & Outreach *

The information in this e-mail, and those ensuing, is confidential and
may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If
you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message and
notify the sender immediately.