[sib-courses] Announcement NEW: ICG10 Integrative Cancer Genomics

Pedro Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Sat Sep 25 11:50:59 CEST 2010

----- Forwarded message from pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt -----
    Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:41:17 +0100
    From: Pedro Fernandes <pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt>
Subject: Re: Announcement NEW: ICG10 Integrative Cancer Genomics
      To: bicourses at igc.gulbenkian.pt

                     ****** REMINDER *******

  Dear All

  We are pleased to announce that the NEW Bioinformatics training course

            ICG10 -         Integrative Cancer Genomics

  is OPEN for applications.

  ICG10                                                   Application
Deadline
  Integrative Cancer Genomics                             October 13th
  with Nuria Lopez-Bigas and Gunes Gundem
  from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF), Barcelona, Spain

  Course dates: November 8th-10th 2010

  Course description:

  In the last few years, the study of the genetic basis of cancer has
  undergone a profound transformation. High-throughput techniques, such
  as microarrays and next generation sequencing technologies, allow
  scientists to identify genetic alterations at genome-wide level in
  many tumour types. The application of these technologies to the study
  of cancer is very powerful to understand the mechanism of disease
  pathogenesis, and it has a high potential to identify possible targets
  for therapy, discover molecular biomarkers that allow an early
  detection of cancer, improve the diagnosis and prognosis or certain
  tumours, and predict the response to therapies. The application of
  these technologies yields complex, multidimensional genomic data sets
  that describe in detail the myriad changes that occur within
  individual tumours and how these changes differ between individual
  tumours. As a consequence, modern cancer research has become a hybrid
  of molecular and bioinformatic methods. The course will provide the
  students with theoretical and practical expertise in the field of
  integrative cancer genomics. We will introduce the large oncogenomic
  projects that are active, such as The Cancer Genome Atlas and the
  International Cancer Genome Consortium. And we will learn how to use
  tools to access, manipulate and take advantage of the large amount of
  available cancer genomics data. Some tools we will use are IntOGen,
  Oncomine, COSMIC, ICGC-DCC and MEV, among others.

  Target Audience
  The course is directed to researchers in biology and medicine.
  Background knowledge in bioinformatics is not necessary. Attendees
  will be updated on the state of the art in the field of cancer
  genomics and they will become capable of handling and analyzing cancer
  genomics data. Upon completion, the atendees will be able to perform
  integrative analysis and interpret the results, in order to answer
  specific biological questions.

  More information, including application details at

  http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/ICG10

  Information on all GTPB courses at
  http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt

  --