EMBnet News bulletin of 06 Jan 2004

Laurent Falquet Laurent.Falquet at isb-sib.ch
Tue Jan 6 13:50:02 CET 2004

***************************************
* EMBnet News bulletin of 06-Jan-2004 *
***************************************

Dear Users,

Courses in 2004
---------------

We will organise several courses in 2004:

1) Basel    Feb 19-20: Migration course GCG->EMBOSS
2) Lausanne Mar 01-05: Proteomics with bioinformatics tools
3) Lausanne Sep 06-10: Introduction to Bioinformatics
4) Basel  Sep27-Oct01: Introduction to 3D modelling
5) Zuerich  Oct 11-15: Introduction to Bioinformatics

1) Migration course GCG->EMBOSS (BS)
This course is targeted to previous users of the GCG Wisonsin package
that are interested to migrate to the new EMBOSS package.
This is NOT an introduction to bioinformatics and it is in principle
limited to academic institutions in Basel.
For more information please contact Dr. Lorenza Bordoli
lorenza.bordoli at isb-sib.ch

2) Proteomics with bioinformatics tools (LS)
The development of technics to separate and identify proteins like
2D-PAGE and Mass Spectrometry has been successful over the last
years, however the progresses of bioinformatics tools and databases
allows the use of more complex samples to analyse. The aim of this
course is to introduce the theory and practice of proteomics using
bioinformatics tools, with the description and the use of some of the
most useful methods and computer programs currently available.
Registration opened until January 31st:
http://www.3eme-cycle.ch/biologie/pages/registration_generic.html
For more information please contact Dr. Vassilios Ioannidis
vassilios.ioannidis at isb-sib.ch

3) Introduction to Bioinformatics (LS)
This is our famous course for beginners. We describe the basics of
bioinformatics (mostly sequence analysis) and we provide the participants
with exercises using tools and databases available on the web.
Registration opened until August 31st:
vassilios.ioannidis at isb-sib.ch

4) Introduction to 3D modelling (BS)
The rapidly increasing number of nucleotide and amino acid sequence
data has become an important source of information for biomedical
researchers. However, the prediction of 3D (three-dimentional)
protein structure on the basis of sequence information still remains
a major challenge in biocomputing.  The combination of homology-based
modelling, sophisticated computational chemistry methods, and
threading approaches are providing increasingly accurate prediction
tools to the molecular biologist's workbench.
This 3D protein structure course is targeted to students in biology
or biochemistry who are interested in molecular modelling and want to
apply it in their research.
Registration until July 31st to be announced later here:
http://www.ch.embnet.org/pages/courses2.html
For more information please contact Dr. Lorenza Bordoli
lorenza.bordoli at isb-sib.ch

5) Introduction to Bioinformatics (ZH)
This is our famous course for beginners. We describe the basics of
bioinformatics (mostly sequence analysis) and we provide the participants
with exercises using tools and databases available on the web.
Registration until August 31st to be announced later here:
lorenza.bordoli at isb-sib.ch

How to contact us ?
-------------------

Don't forget our official help desk email address:

helpdesk at mail.ch.embnet.org

When sending an email to this address you will automatically receive
a ticket with a number. Your question will be answered by our team
or by an expert in the field from the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.

Best regards,

Laurent Falquet, Swiss EMBnet node manager
and the Swiss EMBnet team members,
Lorenza Bordoli
Vassilios Ioannidis