EMBnet News bulletin of 18-Dec-2003

Laurent Falquet Laurent.Falquet at isb-sib.ch
Thu Dec 18 09:40:36 CET 2003

***************************************
* EMBnet News bulletin of 18-Dec-2003 *
***************************************

Dear Users,

UniProt is born!
----------------

The EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI),
the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (SIB) and Georgetown
University Medical Center's Protein Information Resource (PIR)
announce the launch of UniProt, a new universal protein resource
that will be the world's most comprehensive catalogue of information
on proteins. UniProt will provide a 'one-stop shop', allowing easy
access to all the publicly available information on proteins.

New local ENSEMBL mirror!
-------------------------

The Swiss EMBnet node provides you with a mirror site
of the ENSEMBL database. This local site is currently
under development and is intended to offer an alternative
to the original EBI version. In the future we plan to add extra
information (e.g., other genomes or other useful annotations).

New EMBL release 77 available on our servers

RELEASE 77

The EMBL Nucleotide Sequence Database was frozen to make Release 77 on
26-NOV-2003. The release contains 30,351,263 sequence entries comprising
36,042,464,651 nucleotides. This represents an increase of about 6%
over Release 76.

A breakdown of Release 77 by division is shown below:

Division               Entries     Nucleotides
----------------- ------------ ---------------
Constructed                219     964,054,144
ESTs                19,154,248   9,840,795,402
Fungi                   85,775     128,932,596
GSSs                 7,741,817   4,565,763,269
HTC                    148,702     198,490,642
HTG                     68,154  11,648,470,209
Human                  268,862   4,058,010,633
Invertebrates          137,976     628,186,612
Other Mammals           56,196     194,559,545
Mus musculus            84,906   1,551,700,924
Organelles             234,804     197,158,892
Patents              1,345,906     726,398,625
Bacteriophage            2,439      10,566,975
Plants                 240,716     776,794,865
Prokaryotes            217,554     733,776,199
Rodents                 26,629      73,113,920
STSs                   257,995     120,474,694
Synthetic                9,353      17,390,062
Unclassified             1,910       2,199,994
Viruses                209,497     188,376,277
Other Vertebrates       57,605     381,304,316
                   ------------ ---------------
Total               30,351,263  36,042,464,651

EMBL database statistics are available at

Note: The nucleotide count for CON(structed) entries is included
in the table, but not in the total. The nucleotide count for the
segments of a CON entry is in the taxonomic divisions and is included
into the total from there.

EMBnet.news Vol.9 Issue 3 is available
--------------------------------------

EMBnet.news is the official publication from the EMBnet organisation.
It provides users worldwide with information about the life of the nodes
and articles or tutorials describing some software packages.

We encourage you to read this publication.

All volumes archive:
http://www.embnet.org/download/embnetnews

or also here (only Vol.9):
ftp://ftp.ch.embnet.org/pub/embnetnews

How to contact us ?
-------------------

Don't forget our official help desk email address:

helpdesk at mail.ch.embnet.org

When sending an email to this address you will automatically receive
a ticket with a number. Your question will be answered by our team
or by an expert in the field from the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2004.

Laurent Falquet, Swiss EMBnet node manager
and the Swiss EMBnet team members,
Lorenza Bordoli
Vassilios Ioannidis