EMBNet News bulletin of 27-Oct-1998

Laurent Falquet Laurent.Falquet at isrec.unil.ch
Tue Oct 27 11:31:45 CET 1998

***************************************
* EMBNet News bulletin of 27-Oct-1998 *
***************************************

Problems with NCBI-BLAST version 2.0
-------------------------------------

Dear users,

Recently there has been some complain about problems related to
using several particular matrices with the BLAST2.0 server.

We found in the source code of the program that there is a limited
number of matrices available. Therefore it is impossible at the moment
to use other matrices than bloum45,50,62,80,90 or pam30,70,250.

We are sorry for the inconvenient and we will try to fix the issue.

Our web pages were modified to provide the correct options:
http://www.ch.embnet.org/software/BottomBLAST.html

Please remember that the advanced version allows you to select specific
databases to search, thus reducing the wait:
http://www.ch.embnet.org/software/BottomBLASTadvanced.html

You can still select different matrices from the WUBLAST server (slower):
http://www.ch.embnet.org/software/WUBLAST_form.html

EMBL release 56
---------------

The new release of EMBL database (56) has been installed on our servers since
october 8, 1998.
http://www.ch.embnet.org/pages/database_ftp.html

Courses in 1999

We will organise two EMBnet courses next year:

- an advanced course "modelling the 3D structure of proteins" (in march).
- a beginner course "introduction to sequence analysis" (in september).

You will receive more information as soon as we can provide them to you.

Also stay tuned on our web server: http://www.ch.embnet.org

Best regards,

Laurent Falquet