EMBNet News bulletin of 23-Apr-1998

Victor Jongeneel Victor.Jongeneel at isrec.unil.ch
Thu Apr 23 16:41:04 CEST 1998

***************************************
* EMBNet News bulletin of 23-Apr-1998 *
***************************************

The FDF is back online!
-----------------------

We have received a new Fast Data Finder from Paracel, and we are happy to
announce that it is now functional, with a brand-new Web interface designed
by our new colleague, Laurent Falquet.

The Web page for the FDF can be found at
http://www.ch.embnet.org/FDF_form.html Most of the limitations that existed
with the old FDF software have been removed. The FDF is the tool of choice
for: (1) searching for distant homologs of protein sequences that could be
missed by BLAST; (2) searching for potential homologs of protein sequences
in low-quality nucleotide sequence databases, especially ESTs; (3) finding
potential protein coding sequences in low-quality DNA sequences. The last
two functions are implemented using a method that can correct for frameshift
errors in nucleotide sequences, which is too CPU-intensive to run on most
general-purpose computers.

Welcome to Laurent!
-------------------

Starting on March 1st, Laurent Falquet has joined the EMBnet group in
Lausanne. He will be responsible for maintaining our Web site and organizing
the EMBnet courses, among other duties. Please contact him from now on if
you should have questions or comments about these matters. He can be reached
by E-mail as Laurent.Falquet at isrec.unil.ch, or by phone at (021) 692-5820.
He should be announcing the opening of registrations for our September
course in the near future.

Best regards to all,

Victor J.

===============End=of=EMBNet=News=bulletin=of=23-Apr-1998==================

EMBNet News reports developments and changes affecting the Swiss EMBNet node
at ISREC in Lausanne. EMBNet News articles report on newservices, links
added
to the node's Web pages, changes affecting users of GCG
and other software packages, planned upgrades likely to affect services,
etc.
Users of Swiss EMBNet services are strongly encouraged to subscribe, as
this is our main mode of communication with them.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to EMBNet News, connect to the following URL:
                 http://www.ch.embnet.org/mail-lists.html
or send an E-mail containing the text 'subscribe embnet-news' to
		 majordomo at www.ch.embnet.org