EMBNet News bulletin of 23-Sep-1997

Victor Jongeneel Victor.Jongeneel at isrec.unil.ch
Tue Sep 23 14:16:41 CEST 1997

***************************************
* EMBNet News bulletin of 23-Sep-1997 *
***************************************

1. New profile scan service

We have completely updated our Profile scan service on the Web
(http://www.ch.embnet.org/software/PFSCAN_form.html ). This service will
scan your protein sequence for the occurrence of generalized profiles from
the ISREC collection (profiles destined to be added to, or already present
in the Prosite database), or derived from Erik Sonnhammer and Sean Eddy's
PfamA collection of hidden Markov models (more than 500 HMMs). These two
profile databases are partially redundant, but were independently derived.
The PfamA collection is more complete for motifs occurring in extracellular
domains, while the ISREC collection contains many new motifs from proteins
involved in signal transduction.

The pfscan program runs on the INSECTs, our supercomputer based on 16
networked low-cost PCs. It is to our knowledge the fastest available server
to scan protein sequences for the occurrence of complex motifs. See the
latest issue of the embnet.news newsletter (Sept. 1997, to be released
soon) for details.

2. New GCG machine.

The SGI Origin2000 server made available to us by the Sections of Pharmacy
and Chemistry of the University of Lausanne is now fully operational for
sequence analysis tasks, and has received the name gcg.ch.embnet.org. All
the accounts from the old machine at the EPFL have been transferred to the
new one. Many thanks to the team at the Laboratoire de systemes logiques
for their help over the last year!

The GCG software suite (version 9) is installed, as well as several useful
public-domain programs. EGCG will be added as soon as version 9 is
released. The recent EMBnet / 3eme cycle romand course in sequence analysis
demonstrated the performance and stability of this machine. If you need an
account, please send an E-mail to Claude Bonnard (
Claude.Bonnard at isrec.unil.ch ). Note that only Swiss academic users
qualify.

Victor Jongeneel

===============End=of=EMBNet=News=bulletin=of=23-Sep-1997==================

EMBNet News reports developments and changes affecting the Swiss EMBNet
node
at ISREC in Lausanne.  Similar bulletins for activities in Geneva are
distributed through SWISS-Flash.  EMBNet News articles report on new
services, links added to the node's Web pages, changes affecting users of
GCG
and other software packages, planned upgrades likely to affect services,
etc.
Users of Swiss EMBNet services are strongly encouraged to subscribe, as
this is
our main mode of communication with them.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to EMBNet News, connect to the following URL:
                 http://www.ch.embnet.org/mail-lists.html
or send an E-mail containing the text 'subscribe embnet-news' to
		 majordomo at www.ch.embnet.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe to SWISS-Flash, connect to the following URL:
                 http://www.expasy.ch/www/swiss-flash.html