EMBNet News bulletin of 13-Aug-1997

Victor Jongeneel Victor.Jongeneel at isrec.unil.ch
Wed Aug 13 08:24:26 CEST 1997

***************************************
* EMBNet News bulletin of 13-Aug-1997 *
***************************************

1. New databases on the BLAST server

We are pleased to announce that several new databases have been made
available on our BLAST server. The Swiss-Prot/TrEMBL non-redundant database
is now the default for protein searches. Have been added: new bacterial
genomes from TIGR, the TIGR EST collection, preliminary genomic sequence
data for various eukaryotes and C. elegans, and the Aspergillus nidulans
EST collection. Descriptions for these databases are available at
http://ulrec3.unil.ch/software/blastdb_help.html . They are selectable from
our BLAST submission form.

2. Hardware problems

We have had problems with several of our computers in the period from Aug.
8th to Aug. 12th. These problems now seem to be fixed. We apologize for any
inconvenience that this may have caused you.

3. New GCG machine.

A new 4-processor SGI Origin2000 was delivered in July to the Sections of
Pharmacy and Chemistry of the University of Lausanne. We are in the process
of installing the GCG programs on this machine, which should provide a
boost in performance and reliability over the current computer. The final
migration will be announced in this newsletter, we hope in the very near
future.

4. Courses.

The upcoming EMBnet/3eme cycle romand course in sequence analysis will be
held from September 8 to 12 at the EPFL. We were able to accommodate close
to 60 participants, and are not looking for more... The next session of the
course will be scheduled for the spring of 1998, and will be announced via
embnet-news.

Victor Jongeneel

===============End=of=EMBNet=News=bulletin=of=20-May-1997==================

EMBNet News reports developments and changes affecting the Swiss EMBNet
node
at ISREC in Lausanne.  Similar bulletins for activities in Geneva are
distributed through SWISS-Flash.  EMBNet News articles report on new
services, links added to the node's Web pages, changes affecting users of
GCG
and other software packages, planned upgrades likely to affect services,
etc.
Users of Swiss EMBNet services are strongly encouraged to subscribe, as
this is
our main mode of communication with them.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to EMBNet News, connect to the following URL:
                 http://www.ch.embnet.org/mail-lists.html
or send an E-mail containing the text 'subscribe embnet-news' to
		 majordomo at www.ch.embnet.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe to SWISS-Flash, connect to the following URL:
                 http://expasy.hcuge.ch/www/swiss-flash.html